Contact UsStaff DirectoryCESACA to Z IndexHawkmail


dce logo dce

Student Appeals

Reconsideration of Grade

Students who have a complaint about an individual assignment or course grade should follow the procedures for Student Complaints in the Student Handbook.

Change of Student Records After the Deadline

Requests for a retroactive academic change (e.g., drop a course; withdraw; change from undergraduate to graduate status, from credit to audit, from letter grade to Pass/Nonpass) after the published deadline require collegiate approval.

Admitted Degree Seeking Students: Students admitted to UI degree programs should contact their advisor or the academic/student services office of their program of study.

Continuing Education Students: Continuing Education students, who are not admitted to the UI, require collegiate approval from the Division of Continuing Education (DCE) Appeals Committee.

Tuition Refund After the Deadline

Requests for a partial or full refund of tuition after the published deadline should be directed to the Division of Continuing Education (DCE) Appeals Committee. Your request will be considered only if you can show that extraordinary circumstances (e.g., illness, personal upheaval, death in the family) affected your ability to follow procedures and deadlines. You must document these circumstances through an independent source.

Requests to the DCE Appeals Committee

The DCE Appeals Committee meets approximately twice a month, and will inform you of the outcome once all of your documentation has been received and a decision is made.

1) Your request must include the following:

2) Submit your request in writing to the DCE office:

Division of Continuing Education, Appeals Committee
The University of Iowa
250 Continuing Education Facility, Iowa City, IA 52242-0907

Subject: “Tuition Appeal”


3) Standard for documentation sent to the DCE Appeals Committee

You are responsible for requesting any supporting documentation and sending it to the Appeals Committee

Any medical documentation must be in the form of a letter, on letterhead stationery, dated, and signed by the person providing it. The Reviewers cannot interpret a medical record or clinical notes.

The following items are not acceptable documentation:

The DCE requests this information for the purpose of documenting requests for exceptions to collegiate rules. No persons outside the university are provided this information without the student’s permission, except for items of directory information such as name and local address. All requested information is required. If the student fails to provide the required information, the DCE will not be able to act on the request.


Questions? Call 800-272-6430

Request Information

Ready to Enroll

Success Stories

In The News